The Life Time Torchlight 5K is proud to partner with great charities that give you the opportunity to race for a cause.
Official Charity Partner
Mile in my Shoes
For the fourth year in a row we will be partnering with Twin Cities-based nonprofit Mile in My Shoes to help them bring the transformative power of running
to people experiencing homelessness. Based at shelters and transitional residences, Mile in My Shoes (MiMS) teams are made up of shelter residents as well as local community runners. Running together 2-3 times a week leads not only to dramatic improvements in physical & mental health, but to unique friendships that transform every runner involved.
Last year, over thirty Mile in My Shoes Resident Members completed the Life Time Torchlight 5K, running step-by-step alongside their Run Mentors. For many of these members, the 5K was the first race they had ever completed. While many of the members would go on to complete longer races in the fall (six completed the Twin Cities Marathon!) the Torchlight 5K was a monumental event:
- Run Mentor Ron recalled the moment when he and his Resident Member partner Harvey – who were bringing up the rear – rounded a corner and the finish line came into site just beyond the Stone Arch Bridge. “He got out his phone and started calling his family, saying ‘I can see the finish! I am really going to make it!’”
- Resident Member John, on his first 5K: “If you had told me a year ago I would be doing this, I just would not have believed it. I just can’t even believe that I am doing this!”
- Resident Member “D”: “Hey wait a minute … are those people all cheering for ME?!?”
While the MiMS teams put in the early-morning miles training for race day, hundreds of Torchlight 5K participants were donating via our registration page. We collected $1700 in 2017 for Mile in My Shoes which goes towards ensuring all new Resident Members have the proper running gear, equipment and opportunities to become lifelong runners.
Interested in helping a new season of Mile in My Shoes members get to the 2019 Life Time Torchlight 5K starting line? Make a donation via our registration site and win bonus incentives from Lifetime, including official race swag. Help us reach our 2019 goal of doubling the amount we raised for MiMS in 2018!
SUPPORTING CHARITY PARTNER
LIFE TIME FOUNDATION
> Visit website
The Life Time Foundation’s mission is to help children live a healthy, happy life.
We partner with school districts to provide financial support in the form of grants that are customized for every school. Each grant is unique to fit the needs of each district for capital equipment, education and marketing to help schools eliminate highly processed, unhealthy foods from school meals – what we call the Harmful 7 :
- Trans Fats & Hydrogenated Oils
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Hormones & Antibiotics
- Processed & Artificial Sweeteners
- Artificial Colors & Flavors
- Artificial Preservatives
- Bleached Flour